| |

Interview with India’s Rural BPO Guru

Its been almost three years since Businessworld India published a feature on Rural BPO, writing about a company called Lason. Lason had just just set up its first rural BPO unit in Kizhanur village, 50 km from Chennai. The unit was the brainchild of Pradeep Nevatia, then managing director of Lason India, a subsidiary of the $167-million BPO firm Lason. The company’s efforts were arguably one of the first Rural BPO experiments in the country.

Since then, Pradeep has left Lason India to start his own company called Ninestars Information Technology. The Hindu just published an excellent interview with Pradeep, highlighting his vision for the distributed delivery model and rural BPO in India:

As soon as we recognise that BPO and manufacturing are essentially no different, the problem of ‘city vs village’ would vanish. I have personally experimented ‘village BPO’ including the first-ever ‘village BPO,’ and the results are extremely good.

The cost reduces by minimum 25 per cent owing to lower infrastructure cost and manpower cost. The employees stay with their family and spend negligible time and money on travel.
The other important advantages seen are in lower absenteeism, lower attrition and strong discipline leading to higher productivity, quality and employee retention cost.

It will be interesting to see if Ninestars can give much needed momentum to the Rural BPO space.

Santhosh Ramdoss

Santhosh Ramdoss

Santhosh Ramdoss is currently a Program Manager at BRAC USA, the US office of BRAC. BRAC is one of largest non-profit organizations in the world, with its roots in Bangladesh. It has pioneered a south-south model for development, leveraging on its experience in Bangladesh to address poverty in other parts of Asia and Africa. In his role, Santhosh supports BRAC’s resource mobilization efforts in the US and also helps manage its global partnerships. In addition, he continues his work with Profits for People, a social venture he cofounded, focused on creating economic opportunities for rural poor in India by investing in local entrepreneurs

34 Comments on “Interview with India’s Rural BPO Guru”

• Nayan Patel
    27 April, 2008, 13:09

I am very delighted. THis will truely help most of India’s population. I must say that with more jobs, population will also come down due to these kinds of efforts. Hats off to you for such a good job.

• Santhosh
    27 April, 2008, 13:57

Nayan,

As I had mentioned in the piece, we are yet to see significant scale in the Rural BPO space. I agree with you that the potential is virtually unlimited.

Santhosh

• Prerit
    11 May, 2008, 13:14

Sir
    I am a student of rural management and keen in setting up a Rural Rural BPO in Gurgaon… Where can I get the information about
    it.

• Basanta
    25 July, 2008, 12:12

Sir,
    I am very much interested to set up a BPO unit at my own village, but I don’t know how to set up that project, So please let me know where can I get the necessary information to get the things done.

• B.K.Satapathy
    5 November, 2008, 6:17

I want to set up a Rural BPO at place in rural Orissa. Please provide me all the details at your earliest convenience.

Kind regards,

B.K.Satapathy
    Orissa

• Saravanakumar
    1 March, 2009, 2:07

Hi !

Previously i was worked in ACS india (p) Ltd., and IBM which are BPO process (Accounts). Now, i am interest to Start BPO unit in rural area (Gobichettipalayam, Tamilnadu).

Please provide an information to set up a Rural BPO and all the details at your earliest convenience.

Thanks

With Regards

Saravanakumar
    Gobichettipalayam.

• 19 August, 2009, 2:13

Today, the companies have realized that, customer service outsourcing is an important tool to boost sales and gain maximum revenues. While there are still many who are reluctant to outsource their inbound customer services. The truth is that in today’s competitive business environment inbound customer service is smart choice. It allows companies to handle the important aspects of their business. Most of the reputed call centers have skilled work force. They are professional and are trained to handle calls proficiently which are needed to manage a business successfully.

• DEEPAK YADAV
    19 November, 2009, 11:06

I want to set up a Rural BPO at place in rural Rajasthan. Please provide me all the details at your earliest convenience.

Kind regards,
    Deepak

• Selvamuthu
    5 December, 2009, 9:26

I want to set up a Rural BPO. Please provide me all the details at your earliest convenience.

Kind regards,

Selvamuthu

• Parveen Kumar
    27 December, 2009, 23:57

I want to start rural bpo in my home town pls let me know how to start and get the bpo contracts from the clients.Regards!Parveen kumar

• 22 January, 2010, 19:29

Sir,
    pl help me sir….

• Mohit Suri
    8 February, 2010, 1:34

I represent B2R, a pioneering Rural BPO, out of uttarakhand. We bring in a combination of extensive BPO experience, best in class processes, highly enthusiastic & skilled resources to deliver high quality, responsive and cost effective services.
    Our core team has 150 man years of industry experience with substantial portion in driving large BPO’s like IBM, NSS, Amex to name a few.

Incorporated in Sep 2009, we have successfully expanded out 1st process of Digitization and are ready to go live on 2nd one for Data Entry. Our vision is to set up a cluster of small, decentralised service delivery centers in various villages of Uttarakhand and are now ready to quickly scale up for new processes.

Please feel free to email me should you require any more info.

Regards,

Mohit Suri

[email protected]

• Gunamanta
    27 May, 2010, 2:48

Hi

I am gradute and I have 3 year of BPO work experience

I want to start rural BPO/call center in Gulbarga (karnatka).

I do not have any idea on how to setup and get clent. please provide me me your idea and suggestion.

• AMIN
    15 June, 2010, 23:10

HI

I HAVE 6 MONTHS EXPERIENCE IN BPO ,NOW I WANT TO START UP MY OWN BPO IN KASHMIR , I NEED HELP ,I DON,T HAVE ANY IDEA HOW CAN I DO THIS.PLEASER HELP ME.
    MOBILE :-09596334800 .

• ravikiran
    16 June, 2010, 23:37

I am also intrested to start BPO, plz help me any one to get porojects.

• ravikiran
    16 June, 2010, 23:39

my mail id is :[email protected]

• shanmugam
    30 June, 2010, 8:03

• 7 July, 2010, 3:46

Sir,
    I am a student of Agri business 2nd semester.I came to know about the rural BPO.Please tell me if it is possible in the field of agri business and if yes then please give me the relevant information about it.

• Ram Kumar Khanna
    10 August, 2010, 1:08

Dear Mr,

we are here in Bhadohi is small rural town in UP, and is world wide known for carpets. We are here in Bhadohi since 30 yrs and doing carpet export business, now we want to start bpo center here so plz inform us all dtls, we have here all infrastructure,

Thanks, R.K.Khanna

mob–91-9452923463

• suresh.n
    28 August, 2010, 3:33

• Manoj K Jain
    4 September, 2010, 12:33

Dear Sir ,

we are interested to setup a rural BPO in Bhiwani HR . We would like to get complete information for the same.

Thanks
    M JAIN
    BHIWANI
    9215599202

• Pratyusha
    23 September, 2010, 23:26

I want to set up a rural BPO in villages of Andhra—can someone help me with the project or project plan to set it up-

• Ashish
    15 March, 2011, 7:53

Hi Sir, I want to start Rural BPO in Lucknow. How can I start . Please email me all information.
    regards
    ashish

• ankit bansal
    28 March, 2011, 9:44

Respected Sir,

I am ankit from muzaffarnagar (U.P) and i am M.B.A graduate. i want to RURAL BPO  in our city.

Plz help me. i am waiting for your responce.

Regards
    Ankit
    09891054047

• john
    7 April, 2011, 0:56

sida is a non profit organisation.. can you kindly send details how to start rural bpo this ngo

• mohsin
    1 June, 2011, 0:11

Sir,
    i want to start a BPO in rural area near Bhopal and am focusing n domestic market.
    so please inform me about the potential customers and the average earnings per seat.

Regards
    Mohsin Khsn
    9907288541

• CHANDRABHANU SINGHA
    9 June, 2011, 2:59

Sir,
    My self Chandrabhanu Singha from a small village of Orissa , Where most of the people are un employed so I want to establish a rural(Gramin)BPO for upliftment of my near and dear ones of my locality ,Please help me and guide me for this and provide income to all .
    Regards
    Chandrabhanu Singha

• Manish Pandey
    16 July, 2011, 12:01

Regard
    Manish Pandey
    9560043375

• RAJVRAT
    3 August, 2011, 3:12

my for job

• giridhar p.v.
    18 November, 2011, 11:06

Sir,

• 8 December, 2011, 4:13

Sir,I am very much interested to set up a BPO unit at my own village , but I don’t know how to set up that project and get the project, So please let me know where can I get the necessary information to tell me sir.
    Thanks with Regards
    Danish Khan U.P
    9794076175

• 9 December, 2011, 1:24

• 9 December, 2011, 1:28

sir,

I want to set up a BPO unit at my own village , but I don’t know how to set up that project and get the project, So please let me know where can I get the necessary information to tell me sir. vi : buddasamudram mahaboobnagar. ph: 9396661732,

• 5 April, 2012, 4:10

Yes. By 25 years all villages in India must have a BPO so that all countries will out source their office works to India. Some 50 years before switzerland was producing watches for the entire world. Likewise all companies small or big will have their BPO in India as Indians are intelligent and good in communication